Generous people like you help the Macon County Conservation Foundation fulfill its mission to support the Macon County Conservation District and the wildlife, natural areas, and historic sites of Macon County, Illinois.
If you want to fund a unique project or item, consider one of these wish list items that the Macon County Conservation Foundation is striving towards. To provide for a project, contact us at 217-423-7708.
- Rock Springs Conservation Area
- Seed for 30 acres of prairie, $30,000 or $1,000/acre
- Timber Stand Improvement (tree removal), $1,100/acre
- Wetland Plants at Rodney T. Miller Wetland, $800
- Sponsor a summer Natural Resources Intern, $1,000 (with $500 match provided by Izaak Walton League)
- Removal of bush honeysuckle at any conservation area, hand cut and sprayed by contractor, $1,100/acre
- 10 to 12 passenger van, $35,000
- Lightweight canoes and trailer for programming, $10,000
- Chain saw (Stihl Pro Saw 261) for natural area restoration and maintenance, $600
- Aquatic nets for students and families to study pond life during educational programs, $500
- Friends Creek Conservation Area
- Accessible parking and walkway at historic Bethel School, $30,500
- Improve the campground with electricity added to nine campsites and updated floors in the shower house, $44,000
- Rock Springs Nature Center
- Replace nature center roof, $175,000
- New playground equipment, $50,000
- Rock Springs-Fairview Bike Trail
- Bridge repairs with embankment and erosion control, $200,000
- Leiby Hall Conservation Area – Help develop a new conservation area to benefit local wildlife and provide additional recreational opportunities for the community.
- Access road parking lot and entrance gate, $75,000
- Fishing deck, $56,000
- Hiking trail construction, $35,000 or $14/linear foot
- Wildlife viewing area, $25,000
- Prairie seed, $12,250 or $1,000/acre
- Interpretive exhibits to educate visitors about the site and native wildlife, $8,000 ($2,675 each)
- Native trees, $3,500 or $350 each
- Educational and Recreational Opportunities
- Sponsor a part-time naturalist, $5,000/quarter or $1,700/month
- Sponsor a school field trip, $500 for transportation to Rock Springs Nature Center from any school in Macon County
- Summer camp scholarships, $135 will send a child to camp for a week
If you are interested in funding any of these items, contact us at 217-423-7708.